With school starting back, my thoughts have been on the three R's lately. You know, Reading, 'Riting and 'Rithmetic. (Who ever thought of calling them the three R's wasn't a spelling major, that's for sure!) I've especially been thinking about Math. It was always my favorite subject in school. I can hear some of you through cyberspace saying "Ugh!" and "You're crazy!" Think about this for just a moment and you'll understand some key reasons why I loved math.
First and foremost - MATH DIDN'T HAVE GRAY AREAS!
- In 1st grade - 2 + 2 = 4
- In 5th grade - 2 + 2 = 4
- Believe it or not, even when new math after I graduated - 2 + 2 = 4
The 2nd reason I loved math is because there were formulas. There was always a pattern, a process or a principle that helped you determine the answer. Once you understood, believed and followed the formula you could solve more complex questions. Remember adding double, triple and quadruple digits? Once you grasped the concept of addition and carrying it didn't matter how long the numbers were. You just stuck to the principle you learned. Ahhh, math. Now that's a subject that's easy to love.
The final reason I loved math is really just a combination of the first two reasons. The lack of gray areas and the principle of formulas remained whether it was addition, subtraction, multiplication, division... As a matter of fact, the same principle of formulas remained in Algebra (stop all the groaning), Geometry, Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus (that's as far as I got in High School). You see, the principle of success didn't change because the problems became more complex. You simply had to be willing to stay with the teacher long enough to learn the process.
Can you see the math in God's Word? Think about it with me for a few minutes.
- God's Word doesn't have gray areas. It's not given to any private interpretation. (2 Peter 1:20)
- No matter how difficult or complex life's challenges and problems, once you learn the principles you can always come through with the answer. (Note: Important to stay tuned in to the teacher to learn the process!)
- The word of God is full of formulas. Simple, direct, applicable formulas. When learned and followed you always arrive at the Answer. Let me finish out with a few formulas I've found for you to think on.
- Jesus + you = Majority
- Jesus + you + belief = All things are possible (Mark 9:23)
- Jesus + you + me = 10,000 of the enemy to flight (Deuteronomy 32:30)
- 1 Cross + 3 Nails = 4 Given (John 3:16, Luke 23:34)
- Death + Burial + Resurrection = Saving Message (1 Corinthians 15:1-4)
- Repentace + Baptism in Jesus Name = You will receive gift of the Holy Ghost (Acts 2:38)
- One of my personal favorites - JESUS in me > he that's in the world (1 John 4:4)
I'd welcome your comments and ADDitional formulas you've gleaned from the Bible in the comments section below. Have a blessed Back to School season.